Friday, August 14, 2009

First 5K run!



It's finally official! I have registered myself for the Jet to Jetty 5K run. This August 22 will be my initiation into the road racing world and I am very nervous! I don't really know why I am so nervous. There were a few times when I thought about not registering and just running a 5K distance around my neighborhood. Mostly to save money on the gas to get there and the registration fee. But the experience of running this with other athletes and getting myself out there is priceless. I will always remember this 5K and 8.22.09 will always be a milestone date for me.

My goal will be to run it within 30 minutes which I feel very confident that I can. I'd like to get it done in 25 minutes but I'm still working with the C25K program. The main goal of that program is just to get out there and get moving. I feel that I have accomplished the main point of this program and I feel that I can move forward with my running abilities. Still cautious however but very ambitious.

As an update on my own well being I have lost 35 pounds since the beginning of this year. I am around 238 pounds and was around 275 when 2009 began. Truly this is an amazing feeling and one I enjoy boasting about. I know I know it's rude to boast but c'mon. 35 pounds! Hopefully I don't come off as a jerk, I simply want to point out that it IS possible and that a fat lazy couch slob can get his wide load out there and get it done. While talking with my sister she told me it was hard to find the motivation and time to get out there. This is true until you find your true motivation. Once that is found it's easy to get back to fitness. It is a long and arduous road but one that is completely worthwhile. I am also dealing with a nasty ingrown toenail on my right foot. The doctor said I can postpone the surgery until after the 5K run. Did I make a blog about this last time? I can't remember. There is also a 10K run that'll be in December which I hope to run but I'm not sure how the training schedule will be with my toe thing. It's going to put me on the bench for 3 to 4 weeks, according to the doctor. This of course means I'll take a week and a half off and then get back out there. Cross training will be apart of this downtime to keep my cardiovascular up to par. Do any of you have programs that prepares for a 10K run? I'm also hoping to run another 5K before the 10K run and making that apart of my training. We'll see what happens.

I'll keep you posted and if there's any advice out there or suggestions please let me know. I love hearing from everyone here and let me know what you're doing. Take care of yourselves and I'll talk to you later. Stay strong and run hard!

No comments:

Post a Comment