Thursday, July 9, 2009

Breaks, and breaking 3 miles!



My running shoes mean a lot to me. They're even educated! It's true, they're Dr. Scholl's. While running this song came on my iPod (yes, I have this song on my iPod...I have over 7000 songs that my uncle has collected on his computer for quite a while, this is 22 days worth of music! insane!) and I thought to myself that this must be what my shoes think after a run.

When will I see you again. Will I have to wait forever.

Sometimes I get too busy with work and family priorities it does feel like forever since I've last ran. I've had to adjust my workout schedule a bit to work with the fourth of July and other happenings that'd prevent me from pounding the pavement. Thus far I have been able to do every workout assigned. Yesterday I was supposed to run but I didn't get to. I decided to do that run today and I just finished that run 10 minutes ago. Stress has been creeping its way back into my life and running didn't seem like a good idea. Simply wasn't up to it, didn't want to, sitting on the couch looked better.

Wait, that's the LAST place I should be. With my shoes singing and finally laced back on my feet I went out to run the run I was supposed to do yesterday. Running is amazing, I feel better. Who wants to spend thousands of dollars on a therapist (or is that a psychologist? I always forget, maybe a social worker?) when you can destress with a good workout. I can't believe it actually works either. I never in a million years would have thought that running around the block would help out, but I guess stress is in your sweat.

The last time I ran was on Monday the fifth. There was a historical moment that took place that early morning. I broke 3 miles! oh yea baby! This 5-K business is in the bag homie! I think it was 3.064 miles. I'm sure that was only three steps past the 3 mile mark but breaking 3 miles is breaking 3 miles. My confidence has really shot through the roof as well as my resolve to lose this burger weight.

I heard my blog shouted out on Steve Runner's podcast. Thank you Steve and THANK YOU to everyone reading this and my new followers (I like to tell my wife I have followers. I ask her if she has followers. She's a saint for putting up with me.) Lacy, Shawn, Barry, and anyone else I may have missed you guys freaking rule! Who would have guessed anyone would have read this little thing? Let alone come back to it! Other than myself when I proofread it, and by proofread I mean hit the spell check button.

Now I feel that I must continue to type and also that I must run since the support is not lacking at all. 'Must' isn't a good word since that invokes that 'I have to', but I know I can stop typing anytime but I truly enjoy sharing my story with whoever will listen. I myself have never been much of a blog reader, which is why I figured no one would read this. I will surely have to check out some of those blogs out there. Thanks again to everyone reading this, you don't know how much it means to me to know that folks out there are cheering me on. When I'm running or when I don't feel like running, I remember the comments here and that's motivation to keep me moving.

Also, I weighed myself just after today's run. Remember that around February this year I was something like 265 - 270. My weight is 242.8 and dropping! BMI is 31.1 and getting closer to the 'overweight' category and out of the 'obese' level. That's about another 10 lbs to lose and I'll be only 'overweight'. Why is there 'normal' and THEN 'overweight'? Why can't there be a middle section? We fat people have feelings too ya know! it could go like this:

anemic
skinny
lean
normal
pleasantly plump
husky
big boned
well fed
overweight
obese
morbid obese
whale
owner of own gravitational pull

I think this new system will really improve BMI's PR. What say you?

2 comments:

  1. Hi - I heard your blog mentioned on Phedippidations and just wanted to congratulate you on deciding to lead a healthier lifestyle!

    Good luck with your running!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on breaking 3 miles!!!! Keep up the training!!!

    ReplyDelete