Saturday, July 4, 2009

The Power of Running


There is a LOT of power behind running and this minor blog entry will not be able to encompass all that. However, let me tell you of some of what I have experienced in the past three weeks of the couch to 5-K program I have adapted.

1. I do feel more energized after a run. Not only do I feel a sense of pride of seeing how far I run (typically 2.5 to 2.7 miles) but also how much energy I'll have throughout the day. This I have mentioned before.

2. Feeling like I have a purpose. I have a goal. I know I am going towards it and that keeps me motivated to keep running. Actually I have several goals. (complete an IronMan triathlon, do a marathon, get to my target weight of 175 pounds) But I have given myself a deadline.August 22nd is a 5-K in Santa Monica, CA. I'm still on the fence since I don't know what my schedule will be like and I don't know if money will be too tight to register. I do want to be fit enough for a 5-K by August 22nd. Plus I'm losing weight! I REALLY AM!!! I weighed myself today and I was 245!!! HOLY COW!!! I've been consistently in the 240's. Usually I've been plagued with the 250's and earlier the 260's and for a while the 270's...ouch. My pants are looser but my belts are there, shirts fit better, and soon I won't have to pay extra for another X in front of the L for my wardrobe.

3. Speaking of weight loss, you'll begin to look better and people will notice. A cool thing about this is that no one is afraid to say "wow, have you lost weight?" or "You're looking thinner". No one will ever say (except for me to my wife, in a loving way of course) "wow, you're packing it on!" or " You're looking fatter today" or "The city called, they said you're going to have to register for your own zip code". ok I'd never say that last one...without a few beers of course, heh heh. Seriously though, this is a big boost in confidence and makes you want to pound the asphalt again and again.


4. This one is a personal one for me. A long, long time ago. In a city not too far, far away. I was diagnosed with a pilonidal cyst. This is a very embarrassing area to have a sack of pus on you. Basically it's your lower back...very very lower back. Upper butt crack would be more accurate. The area where most of your weight goes when you're sitting down or when you're trying to do a sit up. Mine had to be operated on, thrice!!! Yup, three times baby. The beauty about this thing is that they can't just patch up the hole, no sir ee. You get to have a gaping open sore. oh yea, sounds like a paradise trip so far huh! well, you pack this wound with gauze and clean it out and it's a real hassle. My poor dad was the one to help me out with this one, and then my saint of a wife who took over the reigns when we got married, and even a while before we got married, so she knew very well what she was getting into. When she said she had my back I knew she truly meant it. Anyway, this went on for several years, probably 4 or 5 now. The cyst just would never go away! Plus it does cause a slight leakage, which is more embarrassing for me since this leakage of pus has a wonderful stink to it. I had to wear absorbent pads, AKA man diapers. Fan-freakin-tastic! Buying these wondrous items from walmart was a blast too! a 20-something man going in for a pack of freakin depends, that'll strike up a great conversation. Fortunately that never happened. But if it had happened I was prepared, I was going to blame my grandfather (rest his soul) and claim that these were for him. Poor fella lost bladder control last summer. Good thing he has a good and honest grandson like me to help him out.
ok, what was my point, oh yea. Now that you know how terrible this thing is...it's gone. FINALLY gone!!! I didn't have to put on a 'pad' today and it's awesome! My surgeon (who had to keep doing this.....but if he was really good wouldn't it have gone away by now? just saying) said I'd have to shave that area for the rest of my life to avoid this. psh, give me a break doc! well, I've given myself a break and that break is running! I don't know if it was coincidence or something else. Alls I know is that I recently started running and this sucker has finally healed!

I'm only in my third week of my program. I've been eating better. The results are almost instant people. Once you realize that exercise and better diet works you begin to wonder why everyone else isn't doing it. People who are fat and claimed they've 'tried' everything haven't. They didn't do something right, because if they had then they wouldn't be so large anymore. Maybe they got discouraged because they didn't see the results THEY wanted soon enough. Maybe they didn't think another big mac was going to hurt them, just one more just one more. A co worker asked me what I've been doing, as if I recently stumbled upon classified information from the pentagon. I simply told him, I've started running and I've been eating better. No dietary supplements, no pills, no magic gels. Just fruits, veggies, nuts, lean meats, and running. That simple. Of course this 'simple' is just that, a simple overview of many things to consider. This is an entire lifestyle we're talking about. It's many months, years, decades a whole life time of habits to change. It's not easy. But once you have determination and you are willing to commit yourself to this and embrace it with every fiber you've got, it ain't so bad. You realize you're helping yourself to live a happier fuller life, and probably a longer one. I used to think, "well, I know if I eat fast food and junk all the time I'll be unhealthy and live a shorter life, but at least I'll enjoy what I'm eating." well, that may be true but I sure don't want to develop diabetes or entice a heart attack or stroke while in my 30's or 40's. I've got a family man! I need to be able to keep up with my son, who by the way, is only 16 months and running around already, takes the breath out of my wife and I. But really I do this new life style because I'm now feeling good, really good.

I guess you could say,
I have happy feet.




yeah I know, corny. Oh well, it's what the people love.

3 comments:

  1. I hate running, but I run anyway. I think of it like driving to/from work: I like the ends, but not the means...and so I do it, anyway.

    I'm down about 7 pounds :). Haven't weighed myself after the all the 4th of July eatings, though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog through steve runner. Keep up the good work! And you should do the 5K coming up in August. I did my first 5K within 3 months of starting. I did the run/walk method for most of the race. Once I crossed that finish line...I was hooked on racing. Your story is really similar to mine. check my blog out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Major congrats on puttingit all out there and taking some major leaps to a healthier life.
    Heard about you from Steve runner.
    I look forward to your progress!

    ReplyDelete